When Spike Lee’s landmark film about racial tensions in a Brooklyn neighborhood was released in 1989, it resonated with viewers in a monumental way: “Do the Right Thing” acted as a much needed snapshot of the institutional racism of that place in time.
In light of the recent Eric Garner decision, Spike Lee has edited together a short film, titled “Radio Raheem and The Gentle Giant,” using a scene of police brutality from the movie juxtaposed with the real life video of Garner’s death. The near-invisible line between fact and fiction makes what’s already heart-wrenching content even harder to watch.
One of the most disturbing elements of the video is how unsettlingly poignant Lee’s film continues to be 25 years later. Most directors hope there art will stand the test of time, but the lack of progress demonstrated in “Radio Raheem and the Gentle Giant” is tragic to witness.
READ MORE: As per Indiewire article Spike Lee merged Do The Right Thing, with Eric Gardner’s video.
About The Author: B.L.
After an unpleasant publishing experience, BL decided to take control of her own fate and that of her books. She became a self-published writer two weeks before All Hollow’s Eve of this year. She enjoys writing. She loves using her writing skills to release her inner bitch through the characters she creates. Her novels and short stories allowed her to examine who she is, in black, white and various shades of gray. She can work out her ‘stuff’ through her characters. She finds it very liberating to do so. She vows to keep writing until she can’t.
Most popular, Worth a look, Must read, Related posts, What the experts say, Q & A
- Patchwork Bluez Press is releasing, BUILDINGS, an African American lesbian love story on All Heart’s day, February 14 - 4,849 views
- Book: Sinkholes – Part One – love always finds a way by B.L. Wilson - 3,494 views
- HELP A SISTAH OUT! PRE-ORDER TODAY. LOVE STORIES FOR WOMEN OF COLOR ABOUT WOMEN OF COLOR BY A WOMAN OF COLOR. - 3,365 views
- IN HONOR OF THE WOMEN’S USA SOCCER TEAM: BOOKS, BALLS & DOGS IS A LOVE STORY ABOUT A SOCCER COACH AND A LIBRARIAN. PRE-ORDER now; Release date on 8/10/15. - 3,106 views
- Patchwork Bluez Press is releasing an erotic novel, SECOND CHANCES, with African American lesbians as main characters on All Heart’s day, February 14 - 3,059 views
- Sinkholes – Part Two – love always finds a way by B.L. Wilson - 2,861 views